Happy Hearted Kitchen is one of my favorite food blogs of all time. I always get excited when I see one of her posts come into my email in the morning. The food always looks wonderful and, where I have made recipes, they taste amazing. Once again, she did not disappoint with these cookies.
I have a problem with breakfast wherein I get sick of whatever I’ve been eating if I have it for too many mornings in a row. I need to keep things varied but it also needs to be something quick- I’m not up for proper cooking when I’m trying to rush out the door to work. These cookies fit the bill perfectly. And then I get to have cookies for breakfast. It’s really a win-win!
They’re not terribly sweet which is perfect for me. And they pack a super good protein punch! Served alongside a hot cup of tea or coffee, these make even the most mundane of mornings just a little more bearable. They also make a splendid dessert with a scoop of soy ice cream on top.
I made some adjustments to the recipe based on what I had available in my kitchen. Tweak how you see fit for your needs!
Yield: 2-6 cookies depending on size
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/4 c dried apricots
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 c + 1 heaped tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 c sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp flour (whatever your flour preference)
- 1/2 c oats
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 350 F
- Chunk the banana. Add it to a food processor with the apricots and oil and blend until incorporated
- Add peanut butter, syrup, and flax meal. Blend again
- Transfer to a large bowl. Mix in sesame seeds, flour, oats, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Divide out your batter on a sprayed cookie sheet (or put down some parchment paper). Make sure you shape your cookies as you want them to come out. They don’t spread much at all in the oven.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cookies should be mostly firm to the touch, lightly risen, and starting to brown around the edges. I needed to keep mine in for closer to 15.
- Enjoy cookies for breakfast!