Secret sharing time- I have an unhealthy love of hot dogs. I partly blame living in Chicago given that I am a hot dog purist (put the ketchup down and nobody gets hurt). Hot dogs were honestly the hardest part of being vegetarian until I discovered meatless dog alternatives. Add to that, several dog stands in the city that offer vegan options and I find that I’m never too far from a good hot dog.
Behold the glory that is the oven hot dog. These have been a favorite of mine since well before I went vegan or even vegetarian. So naturally, I had to find a way to make these babies vegan. With the availability of substitutes and things, it is definitely much easier now than I suspect it would have been years ago.
- 1 package hot dogs (I used SmartLife brand)
- 1 package hot dog buns
- vegan mayo
- dill or sweet relish
- 1 can vegetarian chili
- vegan cheddar shreds
- Preheat your oven to 350F.
- Apply a generous spread of mayo, mustard, and relish to the hot dog buns.
- Add dogs to buns and place in a sprayed casserole dish.
- Top each dog with a helping of chili and cheese.
- Put into the oven for 45 minutes.
The buns get crispy while the insides melt into a mess of toppings, hot dog, and goodness. They definitely require a fork and knife- be warned.